Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Green Smoothies

Green smoothies are simple and delicious. They are the most nutritious meal on earth. A green smoothie is 60% fresh fruit mixed with 40% green leafy vegetables. You can also add your favourite supplements such as bee pollen, green powder, hemp oil, etc.

Today's Green Smoothie

1 cup water
1 handful of spinach
1 handful of romaine lettuce
1 apple
banana
strawberries
raspberries
ginger
super greens powder ( I use Innerlight super greens powder)


History and Benefits of Green Smoothies
Ann Wigmore (1909-1994) was a holistic health practitioner, nutritionist and whole food advocate who co-founded the Hippocrates Health Institute. She invented Green Smoothies in 1988 when traveling in Europe. She called them Energy Soup, and added bean sprouts and avocado too. When consuming blended whole foods in the form of smoothies or soups, the food is broken down making the nutrients more available for the body to digest. Green Smoothies are rich in alkaline minerals like calcium. The high-calcium greens are the fibrous ones such as dandelion, kale and collard. Green Smoothies contain all essential amino acids. If you're moving toward a heart-friendly, earth-friendly vegan diet then it's a good idea to drink Green Smoothie daily to meet all your nutrient needs.
Green love in my diet
I have only recently added green smoothies into my diet. I have always loved fruit and nut smoothies but reading about all the wonderful benefits of adding leafy green vegetables made me run into a supermarket and get some fresh green produce to add to my smoothie. I wasn't sure how good or bad it would taste but I soon found out that it tastes delicious and fresh. I like adding apples, maybe some honey to make it a bit sweeter. Green smoothies are filling and nutritious. They make me feel wonderful, full of energy and make me connect with mother nature in a lovely way. Most of all I feel they are a great gift for my baby and I visualize nourishing him/her in every way.


No comments:

Post a Comment